Hi, I’m Becca! I suffer from book series memory loss 😦
All book-bosomed buddies know the agony:
Book 1 releases. You read book 1. You love book 1!
One year later: Book 2 releases. You begin book 2. But then you realize:
How the heavens are we, hard-working, worn out ‘lil bookworms expected to remember everything from book 1 when when read book 2? Or book 3 or book 4?
Well, my coconut-crusted chums, I’ll tell ya how with the help of my handy friend: SCIENCE!!!
- When your yummy novel runs right into the VERY BEST PART, it sure is tempting to ignore sleep forever and read read read. Alas! No! Staying up ruins memory, so if you wanna retain every detail of such a scrumptious book for when you devour the sequel, GO TO BED.
- Handy dandy research supplies a handy dandy fact: physical practice is the handy dandiest way to remember. So gather folks and friends and feisty ferrets. You’ll need them all when you re-enact your favorite bookish scenes!
- GET YOUR BOOTY UP. Exericse grow neat new neurons for ya. Neurons that are just darlings when it comes to memory! If you’re workout wary, not to fret! I have a post on how to exercise WHILE READING!!!
- Science says “studying different kinds of information in a single session leads to better retention.” Ya know what that means? When it comes to reading and memory, literary polygamists have it best! So the next time you begin to belittle those caressing multiple book lovers at a time, remember that they’ll remember all the bitty series details while you forgot everything about book 1 when book 5 was released.
- “Talking to someone about what you’ve been studying is a great way to see exactly how much you really know about it,” says our darlingly qualified memory expert. So when you’ve finished the most delightful tale, CHAT ABOUT IT WITH EVERY FOLK. Bounce onto your parent’s bed and gab about the idiocy of the book’s protagonist. Meeting a friend for coffee? Then skip the small talk and dive right into the vivid political schemes jiving around the pages of the book. Mailman at the door?
Forceinvite him in for crumpets and sob over your ship with him. (Though I’ve noticed my house has hardly received any mail after this event)
- If none of these scientifically-proven tips boost your memory, not to fret! That’s what the wondrously useful site Book Series Recaps is for. Sara and Stacy (simply stunning ladies, really) readily recap reads for adoring little bookworms everywhere. So when book 5 releases and you’ve forgotten everything about book 1, one of these gals will be ready to jog your memory. How considerate!
What scientific reading tips are you hiding? For example, has science showed you the path to importing characters from books to our world? Or have you unlocked the physics to diving our human form into bookish worlds? IF so, SHARE YOUR SECRETS!! LET US PROSPER TOGETHER!! But first, just blabber with me in the comments 😊