Delightfully, dozens and dozens of bookish chums are choosing “reading and promoting diverse books” as their 2017 resolution!
But alas, how does one promote diverse books? Are there any snazzy schemes?
Why yes! There are! With this post, I shall reveal my secrets! *mwahahaha*
If you’re confused as to why diverse literature should belong in your 2017 resolutions, please read this thoughtful post on why representation matters and this wise piece on why diverse books are essential to the education of ALL people.
- Promote fellow advocates of diversity! With more chums championing for diverse books, a wider variety of rep will flourish. Promote this variety! Don’t know where to search? Here are a couple ‘o gems:
- Naz @ Read Diverse Books features countless marginalized authors and dazzling diverse reads!
- CW @ Read Think Ponder has dedicated a page of her delightful blog to delightful literature bathing in diversity!
- Ava @ Bookishness and Tea constantly promotes diversity, like in this post listing 60 diverse novels to devour!
- Add diverse books on goodreads! While stunningly simple, adding diverse reads to on goodreads alerts your friends + followers of them, encouraging your buddies to read these jewels.
- Enchant with an Emma Watson or a Maggie Stiefvater! Ergo: leave diverse books around town with cutesy little notes in them! How charming!
- Donate diverse reads (especially #ownvoices) to youth shelters and libraries in underprivileged communities. Deliver positive representation of marginalized youth to those who really need them!
- Let’s say you’re reviewing a diverse book. WAHOO! Let’s say this specific diverse book is about a Pakistani-American girl. Is the author Pakistani-American? No? Are you a Pakistani-American reviewer? No? Then mention a review by a Pakistani-American discussing the rep. Voila! You’ve ensured readers won’t absorb harmful distortions of reality!
- For the buzzing bookstore worker bees and the luxurious library shelving lions, create a shelf dedicated to diverse books!